Thursday, October 4, 2012

All is well in Christ Church NewZealand

The weather is cool and damp here in Christ Church. I will not get much of a chance to explore the city as I am attending training all day today and flying out, weather permitting, early tomorrow.

The first living creatures I saw from the plane were sheep. That made me laugh. I had a distant view from my aisle seat of the south island's snow capped mountains.

Christ Church has suffered two major recent earthquakes and many aftershocks. Our hotel is only half open and the front is cordoned off and under reconstruction. Construction workers are everywhere in the city.

On Papanui street, close to the hotel, there are many Asian restaurants. A few of us Antarctic bound travelers got together last night for some Thai food. The hot food and good company helped to resuscitate me after many hours of travel.

New Zealand is very expensive. A small cup of coffee at a gas station runs $2.50, a pack of cigarettes will cost you $20.00, and a plain hot breakfast is over $15.00.

I hope to explore more of New Zealand, especially the national parks here on the South Island, on my return trip from Antarctica.



1 comment:

  1. To visit New Zealand is definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

If anyone has any questions about my travels please comment.