Saturday, November 3, 2012

Got on a C130!

Me in front of the C130 Hercules!
Some of you may have heard that my group has so far been unable to fly to WAIS Divide.

Yesterday we got closer than ever before when they bumped our flight up an hour, had to find us all, delivered us to the sea ice runway, frog marched us into the plane, revved the engines - "whirrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!RRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrihw", than it was quiet for a little, then they started them back up, "whirrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrihw", than the Sargent came back and said, "Sorry folks, no flight today, bad weather update at WAIS, and we don't like the temperature of one of the engines", so they frog marched us off the plane, back to a bus, back to station, and we all went to the bar, and after half an hour a call came to the bar asking all patrons heading to south pole to please proceed to building 140 for transport, half the bar left, we all went to bed, (they boomeranged- turned back mid flight), everyone on that flight was back for breakfast with us in the morning!

Tonight and tomorrow I am off the hook - and if my toe feels a bit better I will go for a hike. My toe seems to have malfunctioned as I didn't do any violence to it but it hurts regardless - strange.

That is the latest and greatest of my Antarctican capers.

Love to the puppies, pussies, people and padres!


'Ravens Gang" emblem on our C130.
















Look how tickled I was about the prospect of flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If anyone has any questions about my travels please comment.